Main Course: Coconut Rawas Curry Recipe (Indian Salmon)
The Konkan region in India has given us some fantastic mouth-watering dishes, and fish curry definitely claims one of the top spots. Whether it is a cold winter day, a warm summer afternoon or a beautiful day in the monsoons, you can never go wrong with a well made fish curry.
The Rawas fish, also known as the Indian Salmon, is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids which are highly beneficial for improving memory. It also benefits in lowering cholesterol and blood pressure and prevents the hardening of arteries and veins. Try this amazing curry recipe today!
- 8-10 pieces of Rawas (Indian Salmon)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 big tomatoes, diced
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 ½ tbsp fish curry powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 spring fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1-2 green chillies chopped
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- In a large pan, heat some coconut oil and add mustard seeds.
- Add the chopped onion along with the curry leaves into the mixture.
- Stir and fry on a medium flame till the onion gets soft which takes about 3-4 minutes.
- After this sizzle, add the ginger garlic paste to the pan and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies along with all the spices. Mix well until the tomatoes are softened.
- Add water and bring this mixture to boil.
- Put the fish in this mixture now and let it simmer and cook for about 15-25 minutes on a low – medium flame. Adjust the thickness of the curry as per your personal taste with water as needed.
- The fish will have cooked after about 25 minutes. Taste the curry and add salt if more is needed.
- Add the coconut milk and stir well. Let this mixture simmer for another 10minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve bread, roti or steamed rice. Enjoy your meal!