Image Credits - http://bit.ly/2dowEIP
There is no doubt that Rajma Chawal is one of the best dishes that the north has given us. A simple yet delicious meal, it is also one that is extremely nutritious. When you combine the protein and iron rich rajma with the goodness of wholesome rice, you’re bound to have a hearty nutritious meal.
So why wait? Go ahead and try our version of Rajma Chawal today!
- 250 gms of rajma/red kidney beans
- 2 tbsp oil (sunflower, canola, olive or vegetable)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2” cinnamon stick
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 green chillies, slit vertically
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhaniya powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1tsp rajma masala powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- salt, to taste
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- Soak the rajma for at least 8 hours or overnight to soften before cooking.
- When you’re cooking, put the soaked rajma into a pressure cooker with a quart of water or enough so that it’s at least 2-inches over the level of the pulse.
- Add salt to taste and cook under pressure for 25 minutes on a medium to high flame.
- Heat the oil in another medium sized vessel and add the green chillies and onions.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the bay leaf and cinnamon stick and let the flavours blend.
- When the onions have browned sufficiently, add the tomatoes and cook till they soften.
- Then add the dry powders - red chilli, dhaniya, jeera, garam masala and rajma masala powder and cook well over a low flame until the masala separates from the oil.
- Add the ginger garlic paste to enrich the flavour and let the mix cook for another minute.
- Now remove the cooked rajma from the pressure cooker and add it to the masala. Mix well.
- Add water only if needed to blend the rajma and the masala and cook for about 15 minutes over a medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- While the rajma cooks, steam some white rice as you would in your common routine
- Serve the rajma along with the steamed rice and enjoy!