Recipe: Kretschmer Wheat Germ Oven-Friend Chicken
Here’s a crispy, crunchy oven-fried chicken recipe that won’t leave your guests feeling like they missed out on the real thing. It’s double-dipped—first in wheat germ and then in crushed corn flakes—to give it that nice, crunchy outside that makes traditional fried chicken irresistible.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Kretschmer Original Toasted Wheat Germ
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 4 large chicken legs, skin removed (about 1 pound)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- Place rack in upper third of oven. Preheat oven to 350° F. Oil a baking sheet with sides.
- In shallow bowl, mix together salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne and wheat germ. Pour buttermilk, whisked eggs and corn flakes into three separate shallow bowls (4 bowls total).
- Taking one piece of chicken at a time, dip it first into the buttermilk, then wheat germ, then egg and finally the corn flake crumbs, patting with your fingers to make the crumbs adhere. Place pieces on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until chicken is crisp and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
BEFORE YOU HIT THE KITCHEN
Millions of Americans will resolve to give up their favorite foods this January to jump-start their post-holiday health and fitness routines. However, with a simple substitution, cooks can enjoy healthier versions all their favorite foods with the help of an original superfood — Kretschmer Wheat Germ.
The nutritional hub of the wheat seed which is removed during the refining of whole grains to white flour, wheat germ is an excellent source of nutrients including vitamin E, B vitamins, folic acid and fiber. With a subtle flavor and crunchy texture, wheat germ is an easy substitution for ingredients like bread crumbs, flour and nuts to reduce calories and increase nutrients.
Credits: Neha Ghosh - http://putthatcheeseburgerdown.com/2014/01/17/recipe-kretschmer-wheat-germ-oven-fried-chicken/