- Rice grains: 3 cups long grain, preferably Basmati rice.
- Chicken : 4 breast pieces with skin.
- Potato : 4 medium sized, pealed and parboiled
- Green peas : 200 gms
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tea spoons
- Smashed green cardamom : 6-8 pods
- Smashed black cardamom : 4 pods
- Whole cashews : 20
- Whole cloves : 10-15
- Garlic : All cloves of 2 medium sized while flower
- Ginger paste : grind 2 inch piece.
- Fresh Green Coriander leaves : 1 bunch
- Onion : 1, big.
- Onion: 1 (big), sliced lengthwise.
- Eggplant : 5 small, cut lengthwise in small pieces.
- Broccoli : 1 small, cut into bite sized florets.
- Vegetable cooking oil
Preparation of Kamrupi Biriyani and Vegetable Fry
• Heat a little oil, and add the green and black cardamoms, cashews. Add water and let boil. Half cook 3/4 of the rice in it(Just 5 minutes if using Basmati).
• Separately, again heat oil, add 4 whole cloves and turmeric. Add water and let boil. Half cook the remaining rice grains. Mix the two types of rice carefully.
• Chop the bunch of green coriander
• Make a paste of ginger and of garlic, each separately and keep aside.
• Fry the peas in little oil.
Preparing the vegetable fry:
• Heat oil; add onion, five whole cloves, 1/2 portion of chopped coriander leaves, and half of ginger and garlic paste.
• Add salt as per taste.
• Mix eggplant and broccoli and cover until tender.
• Add parboiled potatoes and cover for a minute.
Preparing the Kamrupi Biriyani:
• Lightly burn the skin with the chicken over open flame.
• Cut into 4 cm pieces each.
• Coat chicken with the rest of ginger - garlic paste and the remaining cardamoms.
• Heat oil and add the half of the rest of the coriander leaves until the onion starts to redden.
• Add the coated chicken, five whole cloves, salt and cover fry at relatively low flame till the chicken is tender.
• Add the remaining coriander leaves and the fried peas.
• Bring down the flame low and mix the rice with chicken